Chocolate Pots de Crème
Chocolate pots de crème is chocolate French custard or pudding. It is richer and more indulgent than an regular pudding. And the method is more like making a custard.
With so much going on lately, I’ve been finding myself craving chocolate…a lot. Stress eating just a little. I was craving something easy and very indulgent. I wanted it to just melt in my mouth. This recipe fits the bill. And it’s a no-bake recipe. I know, I’m not feeling like myself. Opting for a no-bake recipe? But c’mon. It’s still summer. It’s ok to be oven-averse…just a little…sometimes. 😊
The best part is that it’s so easy, yet produces such a smooth and rich chocolaty dessert. Make it ahead of company or for your special someone. You might impress them. Just don’t tell them how easy it was to make it. Give it a try.
Here are a few notes:
• Chocolate – use a quality chocolate bar. I went with 60% dark chocolate bar. But you can go as bittersweet as you like.
• Sugar – adjust your sugar to the bitterness of your chocolate. You may want to add more sugar, the darker you go. Unless you like a less sweet dessert, than you can use less sugar.
• Temperature – I had the eggs at room temperature and the milk and heavy cream out on the counter-top for maybe 10-15 minutes. Whisking and then bringing them up to temperature helps to prevent scrambling your egg yolks. And remember to remove the saucepan from the heat before it boils!
• Serving sizes – I had these pots de crème in small 8 oz cups, but I think they would be better off in smaller bowls or ramekins. It would be 4 to 6 servings. Have you ever been to a restaurant and got served that thimble of pots de crème? You can do that if you like and serve several people.
• Storage – Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. It’s a great make ahead dessert. It lasted me most of a very stressful week.
Chocolate Pots de Crème
5 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
4 egg yolks
¾ cup heavy whipping cream
½ cup whole milk
¼ cup sugar (adjust to sweetness/bitterness of chocolate)
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Whipped cream and chocolate shavings for serving
• In a medium saucepan, add heavy whipping cream, milk, egg yolks, sugar, salt and vanilla extract. Whisk until combined. Cook over medium heat for 5-7 minutes until steamy and almost boiling. Stir constantly. The cream mixture should coat the back of a spoon.
• In a blender, add chopped chocolate. Pour hot cream mixture over chocolate. Close lid of blender and blend until smooth. This happens quick.
• Pour the chocolate mixture into small bowls or ramekins. Let it chill in the refrigerator for 1 ½ to 2 hours. Top with a dollop of whipped cream and garnish with shaved chocolate.