A pumpkin treat with subtle spices perfect to start a crisp fall morning. This recipe can be made using a food processor, which makes it even easier. But no worries. If you don’t have a food processor you can use anything from pastry cutter to your own two hands.
I was going through some of my Fall recipes and just realized I hadn’t added some of my earlier recipes onto my website yet. So I’ll have to work on getting those up.
In revisiting this recipe, I recalled the first thing one of my co-workers said to me. “Is that bacon?” She was referring to the chopped pecans on top of the spiced maple glaze. Well, that was a great idea. I tried it with crumbled bacon and loved the salty balance it brings. It’s so breakfast. So right. 🙂
Pumpkin Scones with Spiced Maple Glaze
2 cups of flour
1/3 cup of brown sugar
1 tablespoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 1/2 pumpkin spice
1 stick of cold butter
1/2 cup of pumpkin puree
1/4 cup of milk
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 cup of powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon of pumpkin spice
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tablespoon milk
chopped pecans or crumbled bacon (optional)
For the Scones
- Preheat oven to 400F.
In food processor fitted with metal blade, add 2 cups of AP flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and pumpkin spice. Pulse a couple of times until dry ingredients are just mixed.
- Add cubed butter, pulse about a dozen more time until the mixture resembles cornmeal.
(Note: if you do not have a food processor, you can use pastry cutter, two forks, two knives or your two hands to mix the dry ingredients and the butter)
- In small bowl, mix pumpkin puree, egg, milk and vanilla extract. Add pumpkin mixture to dry ingredients and pulse until dough forms into a ball.
- Turn dough onto floured surface and shape into circle. Cut into 8 wedges and place on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes. Until the scones are golden brown.
For Spiced Maple Syrup Glaze
- Whisk powdered sugar, pumpkin spice, maple syrup and milk.
- Dip slightly cooled scones in the glaze or drizzle it on top with a spoon. Sprinkle with the chopped nuts or crumbled bacon.
- Let cool completely and enjoy.